You are succeeding in your interview to work remotely until they ask you “why do you want to work from home?”. It is obvious that you are not going to answer that you want to stay home working in pajamas. However, you are not sure what the correct answer will be. The truth is that working from home has great benefits for both the employer and the employee. Therefore, it is easy to answer, and here are ideas to make you feel 100% ready to answer.
Possible responses could include:
- My productivity skyrockets when I work in an environment where I can manage to decrease distractions.
- Working from home gives me the space I need to think critically and perform better.
- I am excited about working for a company that I admire, without being limited by its geographical location.
- I enjoy the challenge of needing to find efficient and effective ways to communicate with my coworkers when they are not in the next cubicle.
- Working from home means that work is easier or that I won’t have to work as much.
- I want to be able to watch my children while I work.
- I don’t like to be closely watched or managed. (Being an entrepreneur is one thing, but you don’t want to sound like you’re trying to shirk responsibility and fly under the radar.)
Emphasize other aspects of the job.
Chances are, you don’t want this job just because it’s a remote position. If that’s the only reason, you should probably evaluate if it’s really for you. Therefore, it is important that you touch on the other aspects of this role (in addition to the fact that it is remote). For example, the fact that you are attracted to and that fits your skills and experience.
Demonstrate an understanding of the company culture.
You may think that the company culture is not important, or does not exist, when employees work remotely. But it is not, so you must be prepared. Demonstrate that you not only understand the culture of the company, but that you would fit perfectly with it.
Highlight the importance of the company’s mission.
Similar to appreciating the culture of a company, it is a good idea to mention how much you believe in the mission of the company when asked why you want to work from home. Perhaps one of your goals is to always donate a percentage of your profits to a humanitarian cause. Whatever it is, knowing (and liking) the company’s mission means that not only could you succeed in the interview, but you’re also more likely to grow up with the company and create a career that you’ll love.
Talk about the benefits of remote work for the employer.
Remote work has many benefits for both employees and employers. If you get nervous when asked why you want to work remotely, you can answer the question regarding the benefits employers receive from building a remote team. Whether it’s your ability to be more productive or efficient when you work remotely, your decreased carbon footprint, or your ability to become more involved in your local community.